Bryn Mawr straddles two counties and three townships. Located just west of Philadelphia, Bryn Mawr lies in Lower Merion Township as well as Radnor and Haverford townships. The name means “high hill” in Welsh. The town was established in 1704 by a Welsh tobacco farmer who built a large manor and called it Bryn Mawr. In approximately 1869, the Pennsylvania Railroad furthered the growth of the community by subdividing property and offering land for sale which led to Bryn Mawr becoming a thriving town.
The Main Line community of Rosemont lies partly within Radnor Township and partly within Lower Merion Township. Most of the municipal services are provided by Bryn Mawr. Schools are divided between the Radnor Township and Lower Merion Township districts. Prominent private schools in Rosemont include: (pre-K through 8th grade), (girls private K-12th), and . There are small shops along Lancaster Avenue that begin in Bryn Mawr and extend into Rosemont and make for a great combo local families love in one building and restaurant is across the street.